Posted By Levi
June 15th, 2012 5:46pm
Today, President Obama signed an executive order that will stop the deportation of young illegal immigrants who would have qualified under the Dream Act that was blocked by Congress in 2010. The Dream Act was intended to provide a pathway to legal residency for hundreds of thousands of young people living here illegally in the United States. They were brought to this country by their parents at a young age; parents themselves who were illegal. They grew up in this country and know no other. For years, they lived under the constant nightmare that they would be caught and deported. They are living here illegally through no fault of their own. Yes, it is wrong to break the laws of the United States, but there is nothing wrong or illegal about wanting a better life for your family.
Here is the memo issued by the Secretary of Homeland Security today. Those who qualified will not be subjected to deportation and will be given legal papers to work in the United States.
These are the criteria:
- Came to the United States under the age of sixteen;
- Have continuously resided in the United States for a least five years preceding the date of this memorandum and are present in the United States on the date of this memorandum;
- Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a GED certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
- Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety;
- Are not above the age of thirty.
We need to keep these in minds.
• This action was made possible not by a law passed by Congress but by an executive order issued by the president. Therefore, it can be easily reversed by a new president.
• It provides only a temporary measure to these individuals; a permanent solution would be the passing of the Dream Act.
• For those who believe that this action today by the president is wrong; that these young people are illegal immigrants and should be rounded up and deported, please watch this video to see the kind of people you are talking about. After watching the video, and if you don’t feel some sort of sympathy for these young people, then you have have a heart of stone.